Any garage door system would not be complete without garage door springs. They help lift the heavy door and ensure that it can be opened and closed smoothly. However, like all mechanical parts, garage springs have a limited lifespan, and they will eventually wear out and break. Knowing how long garage springs last is important, as it can help you avoid sudden breakdowns and costly repairs. In this blog post, we will discuss how long garage springs typically last and what factors can affect their lifespan. Here are some key points:
- Garage springs have a lifespan of about 10,000 cycles. A cycle is one full opening and closing of the garage door.
- The lifespan of garage springs depends on several factors, including the quality of the springs, the weight of the garage door, and how often the door is used.
- High-quality garage springs can last up to 20,000 cycles, while lower quality springs may only last 5,000 cycles.
- The weight of the garage door is a significant factor in determining the lifespan of garage springs. Heavier doors require stronger springs, which can wear out more quickly.
- The frequency of use also affects the lifespan of garage springs. The more you use your garage door, the faster the springs will wear out.
- Garage springs can break unexpectedly, which can be dangerous. It’s essential to have your garage door springs inspected regularly and replaced before they fail.
- Signs that your garage springs may be wearing out include the door opening slower than usual, the door making unusual noises, and the springs appearing stretched or rusty.
- It’s important to replace both springs at the same time, even if only one has broken. This ensures that the door will continue to operate smoothly and reduces the risk of the other spring breaking soon after.
- Regular maintenance can help extend the lifespan of garage springs. Lubricating the springs and other moving parts can reduce wear and tear and prevent rust.
In conclusion, the lifespan of garage springs depends on several factors, including quality, weight, and frequency of use. Knowing when to replace your garage springs can help you avoid costly repairs and ensure that your garage door operates smoothly and safely.
If you need to buy a new garage spring or have any garage door related work that needs to be done, it’s important to contact a professional garage door repair company. Attempting to do the repairs yourself can be dangerous and can cause further damage to your garage door. A professional garage door repair company will have the expertise and tools necessary to get the job done safely and efficiently. They can also help you choose the right garage spring for your door and provide regular maintenance to extend the lifespan of your garage door components. Contacting a Mike garage door repair company in Fort Collins it can save you time, money, and ensure the safety of you and your family.